Folks who follow my reviews will know that I am British, so any books I buy locally will be known as Zootropolis; so when I came across a book to review, it was the British version. However, thanks to someone close to me I was able to obtain Zoomania, the German version of the book!
What I found when I compared the two books was... quite surprising.
Find out more after the break!
The first book I'm reviewing, Zootropolis (as published by Parragon Books), will mainly be because I can read the language it's in. The book is a large hardcover retelling of the events of the movie accompanied with some lovely artwork on every page, as those who remember my magical story book review will be glad to know. There is more reading to be had on each page, although not a lot more, but at least it doesn't dance around the conflict like the aforementioned book did.
I would say the complete story is in this book, but it isn't. While it does cover more ground than the Magical Story version, it also skips over some scenes entirely. This wouldn't bother me so much if I hadn't got the German version of the book and made a surprising discovery. But I will get a little bit more into that later.
The print quality is very good. The pages are nice to touch and have a glossy after-finish. The cover of Zootropolis is probably the most unique thing about this book though. Most of the Zootopia re-tellings often have Judy with or without Nick standing amongst the city and it's residents. Parragon decided to go with the scene where Judy is swinging on a vine holding onto Nick. Although unique, this cover is a poor representation of what the story is about.
Unique but poor representation.
Good mammals, behind the rope!
Better cover is already the first sign!
For example, there are little details at the edge of the pages that describe the climate of the area as if it's some kind of news documentation we're following. Overall, Zoomania's retelling just feels better. Makes me wish I could read German to see what the extra pages actually say.
|These were details they didn't need to add, but it shows they cared a lot more!|
- Judy's training and Graduation.
- Judy leaving Bunnyburrow.
- Judy's introduction to Clawhauser.
- Judy after being belittled by Nick and returning home
- Judy saving Fru Fru
- Judy's hustle against Nick is covered more in depth.
- The visit to the Mystic Oasis.
- The discovery of Mr. Big's Limo and Mr.Big himself and the identity of Fru Fru
- Judy and Nicks gondola ride where Nick reveals his past
- Bellewether being belittled by Lionheart
- How Nick and Judy get inside Cliffside Asylum
- How Nick and Judy get out of Cliffside Asylum
- The arrest of Lionheart is more in depth
- Judy hurting Nick feelings (more in depth)
- Judy's path to quitting the ZPD
- The interrogation of Duke Weaselton
- Finding the train car for Nighthowlers (more in depth)
- The train crash and explosion
You can buy any of these books on Amazon! (Zootropolis) (Zoomania) You can also find them in local book shops.
This has been Surrika, your Meerkat of Merch, Signing out!